2013年9月12日 星期四

TOEFL聽力55個習語結構彙編

“背”句式 = “加”速度
要想提高TOEFL聽力水準,還需要熟悉和掌握常考的TOEFL聽力句式和基本的口語語法規則。考試內容的口語化和交際性特點,使TOEFL聽力中不會出現特別複雜的句式結構。但在考試中,若能熟背一些特色句式,可以毫無疑問地幫助考生縮短反應時間,提高反應速度,輕而易舉地做出正確選擇。

注意: 
  以下55個習語結構無不經過精挑細選而出,均為當今歐美使用頻率最高,最貼近TOEFL聽力實際考察內容的結構。希望大家仔細體會,認真背誦,達到爛熟於心的地步 


>>>>>我堅信,有了它們的幫助,必會使我們的聽力水準如虎添翼<<<<<

Mine: 
歷年TOEFL聽力最常考55個習語結構彙編:

1 take a rain check  改天吧
Model:  [1998.8.北美(29]
Can you come over for dinner tonight? (今天晚上來吃飯好嗎?)
I’m up to my ears in work, so I’ll have to take a rain check.(我工作很忙,改日吧。)

2 lost count  弄不清楚
Model:  [2000.1.21]
Ever since your girlfriend moved to Bridgeport, you are always driving there. How many trips a week do you make anyway?(自從你的女友搬到Bridgeport,你老是開車去看她。一周去幾次啊?)
——I have lost count, but I can do it with my eyes closed.搞不清楚了,但我閉著眼也能摸過去。)

3 be in another world  精神恍惚;魂不守舍
Model:  [1996.5.25]
Pete’s really out of it these days.Pete 這幾天有點心不在焉。)
Yeah, I know. Ever since he met Ann, he’s been in another world.(我同意。自從他遇見Ann, 他就魂不守舍了。)

4 make yourself at home  隨意,隨便
Model:  [1999.8.7]
Do you mind if I take off my jacket?(你介意我脫下夾克嗎?)
Of course not, make yourself at home.(當然不介意,隨意一點!)

5 save your breath   省口氣吧;別白費口舌了
Model:  [1995.10.14]
Hey? John! John!(嘿,John! John!
Save your breath. He's out of earshot.省口氣吧。他已經聽不到了。)

6 make sense  有意義,理解
Model:  [1999.1.29]
The plot of that movie is hard to follow.(那部電影的情節很難跟得上。)
It makes more sense the second time.(再看一遍就理解了。)

7 cost sb. an arm and a leg  非常昂貴
Model:  [19991。(4]
——Did you see the diamond ring Bill gave to Linda?(你看到Bill送給Linda的鑽戒了嗎?)
——I sure did. It must have cost him an arm and a leg.(當然了。那一定很昂貴。)

8) burn a hole in one’s pocket 很快地被花光
Model:   [1997.10 ]
——Have you saved enough to buy that new printer for your computer yet? (你攢足錢給你的電腦買一台新印表機了嗎?)
——You know money seems to be burning a hole in my pocket lately . Maybe next month. (這幾個月我花錢如流水。也許下個月吧。)

9fill one’s shoes  很好地頂替;令人滿意地替代
Model:  [1997.8.]
——Have you heard that Professor Jones is retiring? (你聽說Jones教授要退休了嗎?)
——Yes. The faculty won’t find anyone to fill her shoes. (是的。學校將很難找到合適的人來代替她)

10is ice cold  表示理所當然
Model: [1995.10.]
——Does Prof. Ford always come to class? (Ford教授總是來上課嗎?)
——Is ice cold? (當然了)

11like apples and oranges  用來表示無法相比的事物
Model: [1997.1.]
——Which game do you think is more difficult to learn, chess or bridge? (你認為橋牌和象棋哪個更難學?
——They are like apples and oranges. (它倆沒法比較)

12look for a needle in a hay stack  大海撈針
Model: [1990.1.]
——We are supposed to meet John here at the train station. (我們要在火車站接John)
——That’s like looking for a needle in a hay stack . (那可真是大海撈針。)

13lose one’s train of   忘記
Model: [1995.1.]
——When you interrupted me, you made me lose my train of thought. (你打斷了我的思考,我忘記我在想什麼了。)

14meet each other half way  相互妥協,讓步
Model: [1992.8.]
——My chemistry project is in trouble because my partner and I had totally different ideas about how to proceed. (我的化學課題出問題了。在進展問題上,我與我的合作者意見完全不同。)
——You should try to meet each other half way. (你們應該相互妥協)

15on the dot  準時;正點
Model: [1992.8.]
——Did you and Amanda really meet exactly five minutes to two in front of the theatre? (你和Amanda確實在差5分兩點的時候到達劇院門口了嗎?)
——Yes, we were both there on the dot. (是的,我倆都准點到達)

16once and for all  最後一次;乾脆
Model: [1996.1.]
——I am going to tell that neighbor of mine to turn down that music once and for all.(我要最後一次告訴我那個鄰居把音樂聲關小。)
——I see why you are angry. But I’ve always found that the polite route is the most effective. (我明白你為什麼惱火。但我總覺得禮貌的方式是最有效的。)

17out of earshot  不在聽力所及範圍
Model: [1995.10.]
——Hey? John! John! (! John! John! )
——Save your breath. He’s out of earshot. (省口氣吧,他聽不見。)

18out of this world  非常好
Model: [1995.10.]
——Have you tried Susan’s apple pie? (你試過Susan的蘋果派嗎?)
——I got the last piece. And it was out of this world. (我拿到最後一塊。好吃極了)

19play by ear  隨機應變,視情形而定
Model: [1989.8.]
——Marty, are you doing anything special for your presentation in political science tomorrow? (Marty,你在為明天的政治學演講準備與眾不同的材料嗎?)
——Not really, because the class so often turns into a discussion, I’ve decided to play it by ear. (不。那門課常常最後變成討論。我決定視情形而定)

20) ring a bell  令人想起某件事;聽起來耳熟
Model: [1992.10.]
——That name just doesn’t ring a bell with me. (那個名字我一點也不)

21share a common outlook  有共同的觀點
Model: [1991.1.]
——Jeff and Alan share a common outlook on life. (Jeff Alan對於生活有共同的觀點)

22six of one and half-a-dozen of the other  半斤八兩;沒什麼區別
Model: [1989.1.]
——I can’t decide whether to take anthropology or geology this term. (我決定不了這學期是選人類學還是地理課。)
——It’s six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. (兩門無甚差別)

23stick around  在附近逗留或等待
Model: [1995.5.]
——Leaving the party so soon? We’re just getting ready to cut the cake. (這麼早就要走?我們剛準備要切蛋糕。)
——Sorry, I can’t stick around. (對不起,我不能繼續待在這兒了。)

24stick with  繼續做,堅持
Model: [1996.8.]
——I wonder what this new flavor of ice cream tastes like? (我想知道這種新的冰激淩是什麼味道?)
——I tried it last week. If I were you, I would stick with an old favorite. (上周我吃過,若我是你,我會繼續吃以前愛吃的那種。)

25straighten out  扯平;結清
Model: [1996.1.]
——I almost forgot. I still owe you ten dollars from the other night.  Do you have change for a twenty? (我差點忘了。不久前的一個晚上我借了你10塊錢,到現在還沒還呢,你現在能找開20元的嗎?)
——Oh, not at the moment. Let’s just straighten it out some other time. (哦,現在不能。以後再結清吧。)

26toss and turn  (身體)翻來覆去(通常表示難以入睡)
Model: [1993.1.]
——Last night I tossed and turned in bed, too exhausted to sleep. (昨晚我輾轉反側,怎麼也睡不著。)

27turn one’s back  (在別人遇到困難時)不願幫助
Model: [1990.10.]
——He’ll turn his back on me if I ask for money. (我若向他借錢,他就會不理我。)

28under the weather  身體不適,生病
Model: [1996.10.(26)]
——It’s good to see you, Mary. How have you been? (看見你真高興,Mary。你好嗎?)
——Actually I have been feeling under the weather recently. (其實這兩天我身子不大舒服)

29bite off more than one can chew  貪多嚼不爛;心有餘而力不足;不自量力;力不從心
Model:
 ——I hear you’ve been taking an advanced physics course this semester. How’s it going? (我聽說這學期你在上高等物理課。這門課怎麼樣?)
——I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. (我是心有餘而力不足啊)

30break new ground  創新
Model:
——His architectural design broke new ground in the field. (他的建築設計是這個領域裏的創新)

31do the trick  做成功;達到理想的結果
Model:
——I’ve been trying to get the furnace started, but I can’t find the right switch. (我盡力想讓爐子燃起來,可不知道該按哪個鍵。)
——Here, I believe this one in the back will do the trick. (這裏,我相信後面按這個鍵,可以讓爐子燃起來)

32drag one’s feet  行動緩慢;磨磨蹭蹭不情願
Model:
——How’s Bob coming along on his dissertation proposal? Bob的論文計畫進展地怎麼樣了?)
——He’s really been dragging his feet. (他很磨蹭的。)

33draw the line  拒絕,拒不容忍
Model:
——Paul expects me to clean the room every week. (Paul想讓我每週打掃房間。)
——That’s where I draw the line. (可是我絕對不會答應的。)

34feel down in the dumps  心情不好;情緒低落
Model:
——Kate was really feeling down in the dumps about her latest chemistry assignment. (Kate為最近的化學作業成績感到很沮喪)

35few and far between  不多;少而分散的;不常碰到或發現的;稀少的
Model:
——Steve is really a terrific guy. (Steve真是不簡單。)
——He sure is. Ones like him are few and far between. (當然。像他那樣的人可不多見)

36fit as a fiddle  身體很健康
Model:
—— Harry! How have you been? I haven’t seen you in ages. (Harry,你好嗎?好久沒看見你了。)
——I’m fit as a fiddle. This exercise program I’m following is terrific. (身體好極了。我正進行的這個鍛煉計畫太棒了。)

37grin and bear  任勞任怨;毫無怨言地忍受
Model:
——Carla,I can’t take this job any longer. (Carla,我不能再做這份工作了。)
——If you need the money, you’ll just have to grin and bear it. (  如果你需要錢,你就得忍耐)

38hit the spot  (特指吃了食物,喝了飲料之後)精神完全恢復過來或感到滿足;恢復精力;提精神
Model:
——This Lemonade sure hits the spot.(檸檬汁太提神了。)
——And how! (當然了!)

39keep between the two of us  不讓第三者知道,保密
Model:
——What I’m going to say is rather personal, so let’s keep between the two of us. (我要講的純屬私事,所以希望你能保密)

40know a thing or two about  略知一二
Model:
——Do you think Andy could help us plan the camping trip to West Virginia? (你認為Andy會幫我們計畫去西佛吉尼亞州野營嗎?)
——Well, since he spends every summer there, he might know a thing or two about it. (可能吧。他每個夏天都去那兒,應該知道一些事兒。)

41leave no stone unturned  不遺餘力;全力以赴
Model:
——Lynn left no stone unturned in her research, and handed in an excellent paper. (Lynn全力以赴做她的研究,交了一篇優秀的論文。)

42on cloud nine  沉浸在幸福之中;非常高興
Model:
 ——Marcia looks like she’s on cloud nine. Do you know what made her so happy? (Marcia好象沉浸在幸福之中。你知道她為什麼這麼高興嗎?)
——She just had a paper accepted for publication. (她有一篇文章要發表了。)

43on the tip of one’s tongue  一時想不起來,話到嘴邊又忘記
Model:
——Are you sure you can’t remember the name of that record? (你肯定記不起來那張唱片的名字嗎?)
——It’s just on the tip of my tongue! (我就是一時想不起來了。)

44reach the bottom of the barrel  用完,彈盡糧絕
Model:
——Don’t you have any other clean shirts? (你還有其他乾淨襯衫嗎?)
——I guess I’ve reached the bottom of the barrel. (我想我已經用完了。)

45rub sb. the wrong way  使(某人)有點惱火;惹怒;引起反感;煩擾,打攪
Model:
——What do you think of our new economics instructor?  (你覺得新經濟學老師怎麼樣?)
——I don’t know. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. (不知怎麼的,他有點讓我反感)

46scratch the surface  只懂皮毛,很不瞭解(通常和限制性副詞如only, hardly等詞連用)
Model:
——You’ve certainly done a lot of research for your project. (你顯然對你的課題做了不少研究。)
——It seems like a lot, but actually I’ve only scratched the surface. (看上去不少,但事實上我只懂一些毛皮)

47up in the air  尚未決定的;捉摸不定的;懸而未決的
Model:
 ——Her plans for the weekend are still up in the air. (尚未決定如何度過這個週末。)

48wear and tear  磨損;消耗
Model:
——Why do you always put on slippers when you go into your apartment? (為什麼你老是一進公寓就穿上拖鞋?)
——It saves wear and tear on the carpet. (拖鞋不磨損地毯。)

49with flying colors  大獲全勝;勝利地
Model:
——How did Ellen do on her Ancient History exam? (Ellen古代史考得怎麼樣?)
——She passed with flying colors. (她考得好極了)

50get off on the wrong foot  開始就不順利;一開始就犯了個錯誤
Model: [1995.5.]
——I hate to get off on the wrong foot. (我討厭一開始就犯錯誤)

51get on someone’s nerves  使人不安,使人心煩
Model: [1996.8.]
——Why did you come to the meeting late? I left a message with your roommate about the time change. (為什麼你開會遲到?我讓你的同屋告訴你改時間的事了。)
——She has a very short memory and it really gets on my nerves sometimes. (她記性不好,有時真讓我心煩)

52give someone a break  不要去管,饒了某人吧
Model: [1994.5.]
——Give me a break. I’m nervous enough as it is. (不要管我,我已經夠緊張了。)

53head and shoulders above  (在…方面)強於某人
Model: [1991.10.]
——In computer programming, Susan is head and shoulders above the rest of us.(在電腦編程上,Susan比我們)

54in the red  赤字,負債
Model: [1996.5.]
——So far the clubs are about three hundred dollars in the red, and we still have four months to go before membership renewal. ( 到目前為止,俱樂部有300赤字,然而還有4個月才到交會員費的時間。)
——Well, we may have to raise our dues.(那麼,我們必須提高會員費了。)

55in the dark  一無所知;不瞭解情況
Model: [1994.1.]
——Do you have any idea what this notice is about? (你知道這通知講的是什麼嗎?)
——I’m as in the dark as you are. (我也跟你一樣不瞭解情況。)

沒有留言:

張貼留言